Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A-Z Invisibility Cap

For the A-Z Challenge, I'll be posting about my debut novel, Tough Girl.  A very brief synopsis:
Daily life is pretty dreary for eleven year old Reggie.  She's already mastered the art of dumpster diving for scraps of food and being her own parent.  Her mother, dangerously close to a full break with sanity, is of little help.  Reggie has invented a dream world where she and her best friend, Tough Girl, battle aliens for glory.  Life is manageable until new neighbors move in and Reggie's dream world begins to unravel.

I

INVISIBILITY CAP

Life can be difficult for an absent minded dreamer.  That's why you should never leave home without your Invisibility Cap.  Simply put it on your head and no one can see you, unless they look directly at you that is.

Reggie keeps hers with her at all times either in her back pocket or stuffed inside her book bag.  It's helped her out of a few scrapes and gotten her into a few others.  Even though it's not effective 100% of the time, it's still damn handy.

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like the Doctor Who Perception Filter. You're not invisible, but it forces people to not see you. To look right past you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't lie, the perception filter did spring to mind while writing.

      Delete
  2. Wow that sounds like a really great story. I love that she battles aliens. Great post and happy A-Z blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This girl needs a Big Sister. You better tell me there's a happy ending for her or I'm coming to find you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll see what I can do LG, but you know I'm opposed to happiness.

      Delete
  4. Your Tough Girl novel sounds like an interesting one. I'll be back to read more about her in following letters!

    Just another A to Z Challenger stopping by...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The idea for your book sounds awesome! I could have used an invisibility cap when I was eleven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol It doesn't work all the time? That could be awkward! *imagines stopping to pull up one's pantyhose only to realize everyone can see*

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book is sounding more and more devastating and poignant. Wow.

    I slipped you some tips about what's on my reading list re: gnosticism over at my place, if you're looking for specific books or whatever to add to your reading list. Apparently there are super confusing translations and one good one, Meyer's Nag Hammadi Scriptures. Haven't read it yet, but it's on my TBR pile.

    A-Z @ Elizabeth Twist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! I'll have to drop by and check those out!

      Delete
  8. This sounds like an interesting story.

    Where can I get this cap that you speak of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UGH. I want one too! I will tell you as soon as I find one.

      Delete
  9. I think that we all wish we were invisible at one point or another. I wonder if Reggie's related to Burt on "Soap?" He thought he had the ability to make himself invisible, and his powere were also "not effective 100% of the time." Cute story! Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved "SOAP" but forgot all about that character!

      Delete
  10. I relate to this more than you can ever know. I really relate to her loneliness and isolation. Sometimes, when you are like Reggie you don't even need a cap to be invisible. This is great stuff!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...