Thursday, April 5, 2012

A-Z Edgar

For the A-Z Challenge, I'll be posting about my debut novel, Tough Girl.  A very brief synopsis:
Daily life is pretty dreary for eleven year old Reggie.  She's already mastered the art of dumpster diving for scraps of food and being her own parent.  Her mother, dangerously close to a full break with sanity, is of little help.  Reggie has invented a dream world where she and her best friend, Tough Girl, battle aliens for glory.  Life is manageable until new neighbors move in and Reggie's dream world begins to unravel.

E

Edgar is Tough Girl's little brother.  He is quick tempered and loves to  fight.  He'll take on grown men even though he is not much more than a boy.  Edgar appears only briefly in the novel but his role is important.  He is the catalyst for Tough Girl joining Ruiz's crime syndicate.  


Below is a brief excerpt from the novel.   Edgar is the middle of a pick-up game of street baseball.  His father was recently murdered by thugs and Edgar is a bit edgy.


Edgar was pitching.  He had a shitty arm but could easily beat up any of the other players so they were happy to let him have his way.  He had just beamed his second batter when the black car crept around the corner.  Custom was to move the bases and clear the road for a car, but Edgar was not in favor of the custom.  When the catcher tried to pick up home plate, Edgar yelled at him to put it down.  

The car honked, but Edgar made no notice.
 

“Next batter,” he called.

From here, things get violent.

14 comments:

  1. I have a bad feeling about Edgar. Cool that you are doing the challenge entirely based on your novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool. I love a bad ass kid, although Edgar might have more anger than is healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I teach special education an boy do I see Edgar in my classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the name Edgar. It's dark and mysterious and edgy and dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And his twin brother's name is Alan. :)

      Delete
  5. I agree with Joshua and Edgar sounds like the perfect name for this guy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never played baseball in the street, but did do plenty of hockey. Though I don't know that I've had had the cojones to challenge a Buick. Tough kid!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tough Girl sounds interesting!

    And I like the name Edgar for her (the main character's) brother, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the theme highlighting characters!

    Look forward to your challenge run…
    --Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent theme and I look forward to learning more about Edgar! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tough dude for a little brother. The more snippets you give out, the more interesting this novel is getting. Can't wait until it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty chilling. I'd definitely keep turning pages!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...