Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A-Z DeShawn

For the A-Z Challenge, I'll be posting about my debut novel, Tough Girl.  A very brief synopsis:
Daily life is pretty dreary for eleven year old Reggie.  She's already mastered the art of dumpster diving for scraps of food and being her own parent.  Her mother, dangerously close to a full break with sanity, is of little help.  Reggie has invented a dream world where she and her best friend, Tough Girl, battle aliens for glory.  Life is manageable until new neighbors move in and Reggie's dream world begins to unravel.

D

DeShawn is an eighth grader that goes to school with Reggie and lives in the same apartment complex as her.  The two meet when DeShawn and a few buddies throw water balloons at Reggie.  Instead of running away, Reggie dares them to fight.  Pretty soon, DeShawn can't keep his eyes off his feisty classmate.  Slowly but surely, he breaks down her defenses and the two date (as much as kids in middle school date).

Below is an excerpt of DeShawn and Reggie at the beginning of their courtship.  DeShawn has just apologized to Reggie and offered her a sandwich his mom left for him as an after school snack.  They are at DeShawn's apartment but Reggie refuses to go in.

“Why won’t you come in?”
“Rape.”
“You think I’ll rape you?”
“No.”
“Then why won’t you come in?”
“I’m not sure what rape is but I’ve been told this is how to avoid it.”

20 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. That is the best excerpt! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brinda! I wanted to come visit your blog but when I click on your name, it doesn't direct me there. What's the name of your blog? And thank you!

      Delete
  2. Fear of rape. That's a good enough reason to avoid doing most things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great excerpt! Glad to meet you thru AtoZ. When (and where) is Tough Girl available? (I don't see a link anywhere on your blog.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! Tough Girl will be out hopefully this winter. I'm on my third draft (final draft) now. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Libby - that is such a cute excerpt. Scared of rape, but doesn't know what it is! Aaaahhh, innocence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Libby - just stopping by on the a-z challenge - thanks for your visit and comment on my blog.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a really interesting premise. Good luck with the final draft, and thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can tell Reggie is a fun character. I love her lines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like such a great book! I look forward to it coming out

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed this excerpt, Libby. Very unexpected. Like all of your wonderful writing. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa. That's a very poignant passage. o_O

    -Barb the French Bean

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, as soon as I read the part about dumpster diving I was immediately drawn in. That made me feel sorry for Reggie (I love your MC's name, by the way!), because the image of her searching for food at such a young age and in such a way was very real, and it's something I've seen people do on the streets. So it sounds like this is a really interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that last line.

    --Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds really funny! Where can I buy the book, is it on amazon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marisa! It's not out yet but hopefully will be this fall. :)

      Delete
  14. That is freaking awesome! I think you've captured the childlike innocence coupled with the wariness of a neglected city kid perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...