Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A-Z - Chihihaga

For the A-Z Challenge, I'll be posting about my debut novel, Tough Girl.  A very brief synopsis:
Daily life is pretty dreary for eleven year old Reggie.  She's already mastered the art of dumpster diving for scraps of food and being her own parent.  Her mother, dangerously close to a full break with sanity, is of little help.  Reggie has invented a dream world where she and her best friend, Tough Girl, battle aliens for glory.  Life is manageable until new neighbors move in and Reggie's dream world begins to unravel.

C

CHIHIHAGA

Lucian Chihihaga is the mayor of Planet Girth, and a Pestarian: a green insect like being that is impossibly skinny, stands on two legs, and has one giant eyeball on each side of its long face.  The mayor has an appetite for young female humans, and it's not known to the public if that appetite is for sex or for food.  Chihihaga is easily led away from a party by a young woman in a tight dress, and that will cause his downfall.

Below, is a brief excerpt from the book.  This portion happens directly after Chihihaga is kidnapped:

TG poured Chihihaga a glass of scotch.  When his hands shook too much to hold it steady, she held it for him and poured sips into his mouth.

“Am I going to be killed?” he asked. 
 

“I don’t know.”
 

“Will it hurt, do you think?  Whatever they’re going to do to me?”
 

“I don’t know,” TG answered.  She raised the glass to his lips and poured a bit more into his mouth.  “My job was to deliver you.  Once you’re there, I have no idea what you can expect.”
 

“I see.  Well.  I supposed another glass is in order then.” 

14 comments:

  1. Seems like maybe he's getting what he deserves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does eat his dates, so I can't deny that.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful. Great dialogue there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I could get them to have Welsh accents. :)

      Delete
  3. I love Tough Girl! It's such a great/interesting/creative story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kind of feel bad for the guy since I know almost nothing else about him. Not sure if I'm supposed to feel that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I feel bad for him too. He's only in the novel briefly, but I love him.

      Delete
  5. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a tough name to pronounce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my head, it makes complete sense but it's a lot of very breathy sounds.

      Delete
  7. Hey Libby,

    Thanks for the comments and nice excerpt from your novel.... Intriguing... want to read more... yhahhy for 26 days :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I'm almost feeling like stuff Reggie sees in her real desolate urban life might creep into her world with Tough Girl. I love this.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...