Thursday, January 19, 2012

Replotting

I love/hate replotting.  I'm currently replotting my novel because, as I've said before, the first version was not very good.  It was mediocre, not terrible, but not something I'd like for anyone to read and see my name attached.

Right now, the replotting is going well though I think it's aging me a good bit.  I started to gray when I was 20 and I can't believe that isn't related to putting words on paper.  As usual, I'm partially enjoying the experience and partially it is killing me slowly.  I'm making some great changes though and am excited about the new draft which I will inevitably complain about here.  I have eliminated two characters, changed the rules of the imaginary portion of my universe and attached greater significance to all the relationships involved.  I've also streamlined the plot and added more depth.  Fingers crossed on this being the last draft.

Bragon Dorn the blogger - he's a cartoon in real life too
I was going to write about an interesting interlude from my life but in my blog hopping, I found a story that was way funnier than what I would have written.  Please visit Bragon Dorn's site and read this post. I thought it was going to another "So I got drunk story" but it was much much more.

Love always,

Libby

14 comments:

  1. Well good luck! You know that saying: "I hate writing but love having written"? Well I love writing but I hate revising. So I hate revising but love having revised. That's me. I don't even have a love/hate with replotting. I just straight up hate it! LOL. But I love the end result usually so there you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you removed the two characters did you give there personalities/additueds/lines to the remaining characters or did you drop out whole aspects of your book?

    Good luck on reploting! I hope the more you do it the more you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replotting, eh? Like swapping headstones, no? Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get the love-hate of replotting, revising, writing. Right now I'm writing again and the details of the plot are kicking my ass right now. Write, delete, write, delete. I finally stopped deleting. Let's hope that continues. My first novel is on the shelf. I need to do that character thing to it I talked about on my blog today...and some replotting to go along with that. Someday. Someday. Meanwhile I moved onto something new and shinier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to write a novel before and publish it as an ebook. It didn't go so well

    ReplyDelete
  6. At first I thought you were doing something with gardening. But it would make sense in either context.

    I remember a guy describing his experience with rewritting mass portions of his book. Was like putting his dog down he claimed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny story - like he said, don't drink and sled. I do miss sledding though. Good luck on replotting. It's definitely hard but it can be fun too because it might open up some new paths that you didn't realize were there before. Or it might introduce you to some new characters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. getting grey because of writing :) I actually believe it happens...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you replotting because of feedback you got from beta-readers? I know that's what started me on a path of replotting that led to a story I was proud of. I hope it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could blame my grays on writing.

    As far as replotting, I think I might like it more than editing, but only just barely. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aloha Libby,

    Just found you - hi!- via the '80s Tumble 4 ya BlogFest and you have a new follower for two reasons: Don't knock the grey hair - it could be worse ('m bald:) and I loved the post you suggested.

    Nice one, thanks for sharing and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh ok, everyone make fun of the fat guy rolling down the hill. Lol :D I can't wait to hear your story! Also I hope your final draft is going well and Thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  13. First off, I've been graying for a while too. I'm just waiting for the day it overtakes the brown hairs and I'm forced to become intimately acquainted with my father's best friend, "Just For Men."

    Also, I love a good replotting. Putting a fresh new spin on an old story that just wasn't cutting it the way it was. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope it's something we can see in the future (maybe a sample chapter or two)!

    -the other half of ABFTS

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know exactly what you mean. It's so hard to know if you're making the right changes for the piece, or if you'll have to root them all out again. I've got the same love/hate relationship going on with fixing my plots. But then sometimes, when you really get a manuscript where you want it, it's fun to look back and think about how far its come since the first draft.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...